He knows my name!

My life verse: "I will give you the treasures of darkness And hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I, the Lord, Who call you by your name, Am the God of Israel." (Isaiah 45:3). For me, "the treasures of darkness" has been the medically-treated depression that I have suffered off and on with for years. More than anything else in my life, I think this has made me realize how much my Savior loves me and has deepened my relationship with God. The "hidden riches of secret places" are my wonderful family and this fabulous craft--tatting! I thank God for both!
I think it is awesome that God knows my name! Did you know that He knows yours?

Monday, May 1, 2017

Part 1 1/2 Finger Lakes Memories

Part 1 1/2?? My Finger Lakes narrative/retrospective will have to be sidelined awhile.  I've been hospitalized (yes--again) for the last six days.  It will be a day or ??? until my parole.  This is an article that I wrote for our guild newsletter.

My Clover Confession


I have a confession to make that will make many tatters gasp.  “I have always hated Clover shuttles!

When I started tatting, I had the choice of metal Boye shuttles, and the light, colorful Clover shuttle.  I chose the convenience of being able to carry extra thread with me easily AND the wonderful fact that I didn’t have to empty a shuttle to start a new project.  Over time I became “addicted” to a shuttle with a hook.  The ability to buy bobbins cheaply, instead of emptying the shuttle started me on a “bobbin collection” of metal Boye bobbins, and then later when Aerlits came on the market, a plastic bobbin collection.

Boye shuttles became “harder to enjoy” as I tired of the oxidation marks that the metal left on my lovely tatting, and the downturn in quality over time meant the metal often cut my thread.

A few years ago, I thought I had finally found the shuttle that would rule my tatting kingdom—the moonlit shuttle.  I loved the feel, the amount of thread it held, and the hook.  These shuttles were even easily decorated—I soon had half-a-dozen pairs of Moonlit shuttles decorated with my beloved turtles.

On our way home from Finger Lakes.  Cynthia, my traveling companion, had an internet order she wanted to pick up, so we stopped at Lisa Adams’ house.  Lisa is the new owner of Tatting Corner.


There I saw—a clover shuttle with a removable bobbin! I gave in, and bought two shuttles, and two packages of th­­­e removable bobbins.  Then I thought Cynthia said the case for them was $5.00—I wasn’t going to pass that up, it is a great case!

 Well, I have finished my first project with the “awful, I hate Clover shuttles” and these are my feelings---

😀  The bobbins come with a holder to aid in winding the bobbin.

😀 Spare bobbins allow for easy extra-thread carrying!

 😀 Each package comes with a clear plastic washer which will allow you to wind the bobbin on your sewing machine.

😀  The bobbin have a round hole in the middle—it has a 6-sided, hexagon shape on the bobbin that “clicks” softly onto the same shape inside the shuttle.  This allows thread to be pulled off the bobbin when it is needed but provides a nice gentle tension on the thread when it is in use.  I love this feature! 

 😒😏This shuttle comes with the usual clover “pick”—I have never figured out how anyone uses that pick to make joins.  However-- I found my- self using the pick to help take out an awful knot/mistake.  That was the “Eureka” moment, when I thought to myself…”these aren’t really bad shuttles….you know, I kind of like them!” and …..They are coming very close to removing the Moonlit shuttle’s crown!


 I like them enough, I think I will purchase a few more, next chance I get.

Available at Tatting Corner
Tatting Shuttle (1 Shuttle, 1 holder, 2 bobbins) $11.50
Extra Bobbins (5 bobbins and holder) $11.25
Case $16.50 **(NOT $5.00!)                

Thread and notions at
Tatting Corner

11 comments:

  1. You've so eloquently said what I feel about the new shuttles! Thank you for confirming my opinions so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment!
      It really confused me when I saw your blog post -- I felt like I was reading myself but hadn't been up to battling the computer.
      It impressed me how you liked these shuttles even though you have all those lovely wooden shuttles to work with ( I love the warmth of the wood as the shuttle passes through my hands!)
      Some would say, "Great minds think alike!"

      Delete
    2. That's it - great minds!!! Well, you and BC3 as I'm sure I wasn't there at the time!!! Just to add to my 'likes' of these shuttles - they don't have any annoying 'nubs' of plastic on them anywhere which is specially appreciated when using very fine threads. I'm also finding joining with the picks is getting easier and easier too. Practice (also known as laziness) helps too!!!

      Delete
  2. I said IF the case was $5 I'd get it but $11.50 was a no go for me...LOL and hugs to my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Hugs). A better phrasing would have been "I mistakenly thought that Cynthia said the cases were $5"
      Even though the price is steep--it is still a great case!

      Delete
  3. I've always liked the Clover picks better than using a hook - I tend to shred the thread when trying to use a hook to make joins. That doesn't happen with the pick. Clover shuttles (the post kind) are my favorites, but the bobbin kind sound great, too, and since they're the same shape as the post ones, I'd probably agree with you and Jane. I like the shape in my hand - it seems to fit 'just right.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great reason to like the pick!
      Aren't you glad that everyone tats their own way It's also SO nice that whatever shuttle is your favorite one is the correct one for you!

      Delete
  4. This post is the first time I learned about Clover bobbin shuttles, and I admit I was completely shocked and surprised! I didn't think the Clover people were remotely interested in bobbin-shuttle tatters! They certainly have been a major supplier of post shuttles! (I exclusively use bobbin shuttles, but I discovered that post shuttles do come in handy for more easily accomplishing 'finger tatting' in single-shuttle split rings, and I do keep one in my tatting supplies.)

    But I was also amazed at the thought that Clover put into all the accessories and the box for the bobbins! Very handy - and apparently the box can be used for the Aerlits as well. Thanks so much for writing about this new product and bringing it to our attention. I hadn't really 'read' Jane's post about these shuttles! I glanced at her one post and thought she had simply found a sewing box somewhere that happened to hold bobbins for tatting. I must have been tired that day! I then went back to read her post(s) and was amazed again at her complete discussion and review that I missed! I did comment on her post and explained how I don't really need the accessories for 'winding' because I wind my bobbins by 'rolling' them while they remain in the shuttle. Long story that I have yet to write about in my blog, which unfortunately I'm not keeping up with!

    I also must mention here that I am amazed at your excellent blog and how often you post in spite of your many health challenges. You seem to have so much patience to write in great detail and add many photos. I certainly wish you the best in overcoming all the obstacles you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,

      A couple of the things I like about the the Clover box a) bobbins do not unwind b) the color of thread can be seen on the bobbin c)bobbins and shuttles are stored together.

      I read your post on Jane's blog about "rolling the bobbin", it sounds like a great idea--if I can make myself put it into practice long enough for it to become a habit.

      I started my blog as a true "computer diary" of my tatting hobby. I am still surprised and delighted when someone decides to "join me on my journey." Thank you so much for your warm wishes!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my readers!